Sunday 12 February 2017

Guess who's back!

I've been periodically returning to the sites where I found Spring Hazelcup Encoelia furfuracea last year to see if I could find any further sign of this charismatic little brown fungus. The fruit bodies disappeared entirely after fruiting and I wasn't sure if they'd come again; 2016 seemed to be a particularly good year for them with my finds around Small Dole and Nick Aplin's find at Tilgate Park, Crawley.

I've seen no sign of E. furfuracea since early spring 2016. Until today! On a quick walk through Hoe Wood with Vivien Hodge, I found these emerging from the same dead Hazel branch where I found them last year. It's back!

Spring Hazelcup Encoelia furfuracea in Hoe Wood, 12/02/2017
I found it here on 20 February last year, so they've re-appeared at a very similar time of year.

This can only mean one thing: time to resume the Small Dole Spring Hazelcup Survey! So far I've found this species at three locations around the village; it seems to favour standing dead Hazel / neglected Hazel coppice. Am keen to see if it crops up anywhere else.

Worth keeping an eye out for it at other sites in Sussex as I believe it's only been recorded in a handful of places in the county.


For the record
Date: 12/02/2017
Location: Hoe Wood [private site]
Grid reference: TQ21821350
Entered into FRDBI: 12/02/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment