Then things got tricky! Michael pointed out this pretty cluster of mushrooms growing at the edge of mixed woodland, under a large birch tree.
- Domed ('convex') shape to the cap.
- Not slimy at all - cap feels kind of like a ping pong ball.
- Very feintly striped ('striate') around the margin (edge of the cap).
- Shape of the gills which I think you'd describe as 'adnate'
- Gills themselves are quite crowded, and pale brown colour
- Brown spore print
- Stem ('stipe') is long, straight and hollow; I thought it was reasonably tough to start off with, but it does snap if you bend it at right angles.
- Stipe also looks a bit powdery at the top, which you can just about see in this photo:
- It doesn't seem THAT fragile.
- It doesn't look THAT pale.
- I can't see any remnants of a veil
For the record
Location: Park Corner Heath
Grid reference: TQ5114
Entered into FRDBI: 13/02/2017