Sunday 12 August 2018

More fungi, after the rain

I popped into another area of woodland this afternoon, on the other side of the village from where I went yesterday. I was keeping an eye out for more Beefsteak Fungus Fistulina hepatica and didn't see any which surprised me. But I did find some other things.

This Blushing Bracket Daedaleopsis confragosa was looking very fresh – there were a bunch of them growing on a fallen willow trunk.


I found this fungus dancing over a fallen branch just like a ballerina.


I thought it might be some kind of oyster-type-thing at first, when I saw these fruit bodies, but the smooth underside gave them away.


I think they must be one of those Polyporus species... Something like Polyporus durus (= badius), but it's a bit hard to tell when they're so young, as it can take a while for the pores to develop (as I discovered a couple of years ago).

This fungus has been frustrating me for a good couple of years now (since this visit), as I've never managed to get to grips with determining if it's Southern Bracket Ganoderma australe or Artist's Bracket Ganoderma applanatum. Whatever it is, it looked like it had been putting some fresh growth on.


Always a pleasure to see these little pretties: another species I have never been confident at separating – one of the Wolf Milks Lycogala epidendrum / terrestre. I found the descriptions very confusing the last time I attempted to get to a species identification with these, here. Still love 'em though.


And I found another mushroom! Somewhat unfortunate that I only found it after I'd stood on it. I never saw what it was growing on, but I think it's another Pluteus. This one is quite grey compared to the one I found yesterday, and rather smaller, which made me wonder if it's Willow Shield Pluteus salicinus.


I'll see if I can confirm the identification from its microfeatures, if I get a chance.

For the record
Date: 12/08/2018
Location: Horton Wood, Small Dole
Grid reference: TQ208127 (site centroid) 

D. confragosa record entered into FRDBI 07/09/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment