Wednesday 9 August 2017

Good day at the office


I was delighted to find these striking waxcaps outside my office window, as I walked into work at Woods Mill, the Sussex Wildlife Trust headquarters, on Tuesday.


At lunchtime, opposite the bike shed, I found a few more. They're quite variable in appearance.


I'm grateful to my colleague Graeme Lyons and Twitter folk, Donal McCarthy and Dawn & Jim, for identifying these as Blackening Waxcap Hygrocybe conica. There's an interesting write up of this species on the first-nature website.

I popped back at lunchtime today for another look and that one by the bike shed is clearly starting to blacken.


Apparently they soon turn black all over.

For the record
Date: 08/08/2017
Location: Woods Mill, Henfield
Grid reference: TQ218137

No comments:

Post a Comment