Saturday 11 April 2020

The Joy of Sticks

One unexpected consequence of our current circumstances is that my garden – the location for Michael Blencowe's daily 'Corona Wildlife Diary' – has become ever so slightly famous.

It's been a joy to see people sharing stories of life, wild life, continuing on around us. But when the camera turned to my back garden, I confess to a sudden and powerful empathy with Hyacinth Bucket and that matter of 'Keeping Up Appearances'. Because – with time taken up by work and other interests – our garden had become a bit of a mess.

So it was that I found myself on the first day of the bank holiday intent on tidying up the 'vegetable patch'.


Last year's Fennel has stood here all winter; its stems now well and truly dead. So I thought I'd start by clearing these away. It took longer than I thought as, while I was chopping them into bits to go in the garden waste bin, I got rather distracted by the tiny bumps and speckles which adorned them.

The thin stems in the Fennel's upper reaches were most intriguing, being covered in a smattering of tiny fuzzy-looking specks. So some of these were saved from the garden waste bin and came into the house with me. I popped them in a box with some damp kitchen roll and waited to see what would happen.


Here's one of those stems after it's moistened up a bit. You might just be able to make out those fascinating specks?


Another hour or two passed, while I figured out how to change a light bulb in the stereomicroscope.

It was worth it, because these aren't just any old specks. They are in fact beautiful soft grey cup funguses fringed with crystal-white hairs.


At the highest level of magnification, I could just make out some tiny square clusters of dots – a telltale sign that what I'm looking at here is a fungus which holds its spores out on prongs [sterigmata]: it's a basidiomycete.


I think what I've got here might be Lachnella alboviolascens; but there may be similar species and I haven't yet managed to track down a key.

The authors of 'Fungi of Temperate Europe' describe Lachnella as "a genus of dessication-tolerant cyphelloids... In dry weather the fruit bodies close and form small, hairy balls." You can actually see this in action under the microscope – these photos were taken over the course of about 15 minutes.


Those weren't the only interesting specks on the Fennel.


The thick stems were covered in tiny black bumps which – taking a lead from 'Ellis & Ellis' – I think might be Leptosphaeria libanotis, with a "depressed-globose" shape.



I can't work out if the even-tinier specks shown here [TOP] with the Lachnella for scale [BOTTOM] is a baby version of the Lachnella, or something different. Might need to get the slide microscope out...


Anyway, I think we've established why the garden's such a mess. And maybe messy's just fine for funguses.

For the record
Date: 11 April 2020
Location: My garden



From https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/en-dash.html
© 2020 thepunctuationguide.com


From https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/en-dash.html
© 2020 thepunctuationguide.com


From https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/en-dash.html
© 2020 thepunctuationguide.com


From https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/en-dash.html
© 2020 thepunctuationguide.cas the location for

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. ... and a surfeit of time on my hands. Felt good to spend a few hours focussed on fungi. Thanks Jeff!

      Delete
  2. Fab discourse on the wild things that constantly appear on our about to be discarded waste. Fungi find anything and everything to live on or with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ted. I did wonder whether I really need to bother with gardening - the fungi would tidy it all up for me eventually :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. I've been busy starting to look at fennel stems too. In mid-Wales near the west coast.
    Have you considered Heterosphaeria patella for your black donuts? At maturity they open to reveal a grey disc. Leptosphaeria spp produce perithecia. A cross-section might quickly reveal whether you have perithecia or apothecia even if the structures are immature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I think I was on the wrong track with identifying my little black donuts - they were a bit beyond me! But I'll have a look at Heterosphaeria patella. I should be able to track down some more specimens... Enjoy fossicking around in your Fennel!

      Delete