Saturday 19 October 2019

Mushrooms at dusk


It felt like a long time since I was last in Horton Wood. That small corner of ancient woodland between Small Dole and the river Adur. So when I finished work earlyish on Thursday I thought I'd take the opportunity to wander over there and see what was afoot.

This rotting log soon caught my eye, covered in Mycenas.


Taking a closer look, I discovered they were one of the bleeding species. I think Burgundydrop Bonnet Mycena haemotopus.



At the far end of the woods, the ground was covered in troops of pink Mycenas, many of them growing in large fairy rings.




These had the look of Lilac Bonnet Mycena pura to me, as I didn't think they showed the more uniform pink tones and clavate base that I've seen in M. rosea. But I'm rarely 100% confident naming these two species...


There must have been thousands of these mushrooms in the woods that night. I passed many more as I walked on in the fading light.


 

Think I can get away with naming this one Tawny Funnel Lepista flaccida. It was quite fragrant, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it smelt like.  



The conditions also seemed to be good for several Agaricus species. I think I've seen these boxy ones before (here) and never quite figured out what they were. 


I thought these brown ones, with a distinct ring around the stem, would be easy to identify...


Going through the key in Geoffrey Kibby's 'The genus Agaricus in Britain' I think they might be Agaricus depauperatus. But it's an uncommon species which I think would need to be checked microscopically before I start claiming it.

Further on I came across more handsome Agaricus. I'm a little more confident in naming these Agaricus impudicus. The 'concentric squamules ... often solid brown' at the centre are a distinctive feature of this species.


I guess these are the same...?


This was something different. I think one of the Chlorophyllum species. I would have needed to get a closer look at the stem ring to be sure, but it was getting very dark by this point.



Night fell too soon!


For the record
Date: 17/10/2019
Location: Horton Wood, Small Dole

No comments:

Post a Comment