Saturday 14 September 2019

On pleasant pastures


Hopefully this post will serve as evidence that my interest in mycology is purely scientific, as I've been dedicating significant amounts of time to the pursuit of fungi for nearly four years now, and I've just today had my first encounter with the Liberty Cap Psilocybe semilanceata — a common and widespread species, according to 'Collins Fungi Guide' (Buczacki).




I came across them while I was checking out a grassland site for CHEGD potential. The weather's been too dry for waxcaps, so I thought I'd content myself with looking at what else was about.

Having looked at the gill edge under the microscope, I see they have very prominent cheilocystidia and ellipsoid spores. Referring to Funga Nordica, they seem to key out clearly to P. semilanceata...

Gill edge squash. 400x magnification, mounted in water.

... Which means I'd better dispose of my collection asap.

In the more enriched areas of pasture I also saw a fair few Panaeolus-type things, with veil remnants hanging from the edge of the cap.


I think I can get away with calling this one Petticoat Mottlegill Panaeolus papilionaceus, owing to its distinctive 'petticoat'.

There are lots of little brown jobs that occur in rich pasture, and I'm not sure where to start with this next one.

The squares are 5mm.



This one looks to be distinctly 'hygrophanous' as the cap is showing a two-tone appearance, where it's starting to dry out. These guys are also pretty small: 6-8 mm across.


Gill edge squash. 400x magnification, mounted in water.
Ramping the magnification up to 1000x, under oil immersion, I see that the spores appear to have a roughened texture to them.

Gill squash. Basidium & spores. 1000x magnification, mounted in water.

Looking in 'Fungi of Temperate Europe' (Laessoe & Petersen), I think I might have Brown Mottlegill Panaeolina foenisecii.

For the record
Date: 14/09/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment