Saturday 2 June 2018

Sporulating now

I headed over to Lodsworth today for an introduction to the Ferns of Sussex with Bruce Middleton. Not fungi. But they've got spores so I thought I'd allow them a guest appearance.

Ferns (& their allies) of Lodsworth, from left to right: Wood Horsetail, Bracken, Hart's-tongue Fern, Maidenhair Spleenwort, Rusty-back Fern, Black Spleenwort, Hard Fern, Soft Shield Fern, Scaly Male Fern (if I've remembered them right).
Walking through a meadow, towards the river, we passed a solitary mushroom.






I'm thinking it might be a Psathyrella. It was only about 5 cm high and 2.5 cm across.

The gill attachment looks 'adnate' to me and I'm getting hints of a slight scaliness to the cap. I'm thinking it could be Pale Brittlestem Psathyrella candolleana. Should really do some microscopy to confirm!

It was also nice to see Chicken of the Woods Laetiporus sulphureus fruiting in the village and Dead Man's Fingers Xylaria polymorpha growing up from a rotting stump in the woods.

For the record
Date: 2 June 2018
Location: Lodsworth
Grid ref: Psathyrella sp. SU933230; L. sulphureus SU926232; X. polymorpha SU9323

Records entered into FRDBI 07/09/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment