Wednesday 17 August 2016

Some like it hot

Thought I'd nip across to Hoe Wood at lunchtime, see what's happening.

Spotted this on the way there a bracket fungus growing on a fallen bough of a big old willow tree.




Wasn't sure what it was at first, but the Collins Complete (photographic) Guide has a handy section at the back highlighting species to look out for in particular habitats. Blushing Bracket Daedaleopsis confragosa is one of the species it says to look out for on willows.

I have seen Blushing Bracket before in almost exactly the same spot, but only in its old age when the brackets turn a deep beetroot colour.

These young Blushing Brackets are all shades of white and beige. You have to give them a squeeze to make them blush, and then the underside turns a deep reddish brown.

My thumb print.

I think these must be very fresh. When I brushed away a fallen leaf from the surface, I noticed the fungal tissue had grown up beneath it, creating a perfect impression.


It will be interesting to see how long they stay this white.

Despite lingering a while by these Blushing Brackets, I did make it as far as Hoe Wood today where I was surprised to find yet more things were happening in the fungal kingdom, in the dry heat of August.

Unfortunately my camera battery didn't make it that far. So that story might have to wait until tomorrow, and another lunch break.

For the record
Date: 17/08/2016
Location: Woods Mill
Grid reference: TQ218136
Entered into FRDBI: 13/02/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment